Myths and Facts About Women
1. When most women have children, they quit work and do not
re-enter the job market at least until their children are in school
2. Almost half of all marriages end in divorce.
3. 8 out of 10 single-parent families are headed by women.
4. A young woman today can expect to spend an average of 15 years in the paid labour force.
5. In over half of Canadian families, both the husband and wife work outside the home.
6. Even when they are employed, women maintain primary responsibility for household work.
7. Women spend more time taking care of children than they spend caring for an elderly parent.
8. 20% of women employed part-time want full-time work.
9. 50% of Canadian women have poor body image.
10. 88% of all spousal violence victims were women.
11. Women and men report similar levels of personal stress.
12. Half of all caregivers for elderly parents are female.
13. Women still make only 74 cents for every dollar made by a man.
14. The percentage of women receiving all university degrees is increasing.
15. Women and men receive a comparable number of higher degrees.
16. Most women continue to work in traditionally female-dominated occupations.
17. The wage gap is shrinking for professional women